From the 19th of October 2022, users will need use an EU Login 2-factor verification method to access EVAL. If not already done, please login to your EU Login account and activate this service. It is recommended that you download the EU Login app from your mobile phone’s app store to use as a verification method, and confirm validation requests via a PIN code, face ID, QR code, etc. Please view the EU Login Guide for more information, or if you need help, please contact INTPA SUPPORT SERVICES.
e-Evaluation Tool and Library (EVAL)
Please note that this page is adressed to all EVAL users from outside the Commission - Evaluation Contractors and Experts. For all the other roles, please access the EVAL page on our internal RELEX Wiki.
Click on “watch” on top of this page to get e-mails about updates! If you like this page, we'd be happy to hear it: give us a “like” at the bottom of the page!
EVAL (Evaluation Module)
The Evaluation module (EVAL) is an IT application to be used by DG INTPA, EU Delegations (EUD), evaluation contractors and stakeholders as a central repository and information management tool for Project/Programme, Country Sector Level, Budget Support and Thematic evaluations and to support the management of evaluation processes and documents. The use of the module is also open to DG NEAR and FPI. Following Management approval, the module has been launched on 11 May 2016.
The Evaluation module responds to one of the Recommendations of the Court of Auditors' Special report on ROM and Evaluations.
Enhanced information and knowledge management:
- A central repository for project and programme evaluations;
- A multi-criteria search function, based on project and evaluation information as well as on the text of evaluation reports;
- Improved data quality, thanks to the possibility to retrieve project data from CRIS rather than entering it manually, and thanks to the automatic generation of pre-filled templates.
Easier workflow management: the module provides a harmonised / systematic frame for EUDs and EC HQ to manage evaluations. Evaluation Managers are assisted by e-mail notifications at each step of the process. In addition, the module offers easier and safer access to CRIS documentation for external users
Improved methodological guidance: the module supports the efforts to raise the quality of project and programme evaluations by integrating methodological guidance, including links to up-to-date templates
Users of the EVAL module
- Internal: Evaluation Managers (operational managers in EUD and HQ having evaluation managers' responsibilities), Evaluation Correspondents and users of Project and Programme evaluation within EC HQ services and EUDs for purposes of analysis and using lessons learned
- External: Evaluation Contractors and Experts, Reference Group Members.
Basic EVAL workflow
The workflow is managed in the EVAL module by the following users:
- The Evaluation Manager starts the process for an evaluation by entering the evaluation in the module, defining its scope, timeframe, budget and stakeholders; the Terms of reference are uploaded to the module and the evaluation is then launched.
The Evaluation Manager retrieves information about the evaluation contract from CRIS and adds details of the external stakeholders involved in the evaluation.
The Evaluation Contractor downloads project and programme documents from the CRIS library in the EVAL module and uploads the Contractor's deliverables to the module (Inception/Desk/Field/Synthesis reports) - first draft.
The Evaluation Manager collects comments from the reference group and sends back the first version of the draft final report with comments for revision; (s)he also prepares the first version of the Quality Assessment Grid (QAG) assessing the quality of the draft final report and shares it with the Contractor by e-mail.
- The Evaluation Contractor discusses the draft QAG with the Evaluation Manager; after the revision of the draft final report, the Contractor uploads a revised draft of the final report and/or executive summary, and submits the documents.
The Evaluation Manager approves the final report and the executive summary; (s)he completes the Quality Assessment Grid and shares it with the Contractor by e-mail.
The Evaluation Manager elaborates a follow-up plan based on the recommendations of the final report, and, if appropriate, plans for a follow-up after one year.
Link to the EVAL module
The EVAL module is accessible in Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome through the following link: https://webgate.ec.europa.eu/europeaid/eval/
The EVAL module has been developed in English and French.