Europa Analytics is the corporate web analytics service of the European Commission.
- no other tool or service may be used. Third party services are not allowed on European Commission Websites.
- all new European Commission websites and revamps must include Europa Analytics
- by end of 2020, all Commission websites must be included in Europa Analytics
- each webmaster is responsible for adding the EA Webtools snippet to all their pages and making sure all their pages are correctly tracked
Europa Analytics allows you to track, analyse and understand better your website audience. This is crucial to ensure online communication is targeted and cost-efficient. This corporate service is currently based on the open source tool Matomo/Piwik, customised for specific European Commission business needs.
The Europa Analytics team provides the following support to users across European Commission departments
- set-up and configuration of websites
- bug fixing and improvements
- coaching and training
- data insights and analysis
Inclusion of a website in Europa Analytics
Europa Analytics is dedicated to monitoring the European Commission web presence (publicly available websites).
- In order to start the tracking of a website, a request must be sent to Comm Europa Management. An Europa Forum member or head of communication unit approval is needed to start the process.
- Comm Europa Management will analyse the request and provide the necessary documentation/steps to ensure your website is included.
- The EA team will activate a dedicated plugin that will add the EA Webtools snippet to the website, provided the website is managed by the NE-CMS (Drupal provided by DG Informatics).
On every page of your website there must be
- a link to the legal notice (see links for EC branded sites or EU branded sites). If you use your own legal notice, it must include the points concerning Europa Analytics present in the EC legal notice and the opt-out mechanism
- the EA Webtools snippet that ensures the correct tracking of your website. The default Piwik snippet must not be used.
The Europa Analytics reporting tool is accessible to European Commission staff using EU login.
- Enter Europa Analytics. It will lead you to the EU Login platform.
- Enter your EU Login username & password.
- Notify Comm Europa Management you have already logged in at least once in Europa Analytics.
- Provide a justification.
- You will be granted Admin Access.
- Subcontractors must create an EU Login account.
- Subcontractors must log in to Europa Analytics.
- The official webmaster of the website must notify Comm Europa Management.
- The external user will be granted View Access.
Note that usernames with accents are not supported by the Europa Analytics tool. If you face this issue, you must inform Comm Europa Management by email.
Europa Analytics FAQ
Europa Analytics documentation
We provide individual coaching sessions tailored to the webmaster's needs.
Send an email to Comm Europa Management in order to schedule your coaching session.
We will soon be organising Europa Analytics hands-on training sessions. You will be able to subscribe to these via a syslog link.
Contact and support
Comm Europa Management
Europa Analytics newsletter