By end of 2020, all Commission websites must implement the new design components.
Harmonised websites Group 1
Web information systems
- Definition:Permanent websites providing a user-friendly interface to generate, disclose and/or filter large, detailed amounts of data stored in different systems.
- Scope: Web information systems follow design principles close to those for core and standardised websites.
- Definition: Network websites are websites or platforms set up and managed by the European Commission (as a service provider) to encourage and facilitate interaction among a specific, non-EC target audience.
- Scope: Network websites follow design principles close to those for core and standardised sites.
Internal policy websites
- Definition: Websites providing information on internal working methods of the EU institutions, standards and guidelines. Resources for institutions’ employees, partners and service providers.
- Scope: Internal policy websites follow design principles close to those for core and standardised sites.
Harmonised websites Group 2
- Definition: An event website's sole purpose is to advertise a specific or repeatedly occurring activity that is open to the public, organised and/or hosted by the European Commission. The website can be temporary and provide information about an event before, during and after it takes place. It can be complemented by a campaign. Event websites are only allowed for large and complex events that cannot be accommodated by the events content type.
- Scope: Events may have specific requirements.
- Definition: A temporary, online communication endeavour dedicated to promoting a single or several thematically linked activities, initiatives, services or products. The website may form the online part of a broader campaign, communicated by other channels such as print and social media.
- Definition: Regularly updated websites dedicated to publishing general features and news items about specific European Commission activities, from an individual perspective or via a corporate (DG/Agency-managed) newsletter/magazine.
Harmonised websites Group 3
- Definition: A partnership website is a website where the European Commission is a cooperating partner in its creation but is not the sole owner of the information contained therein. It is a joint effort between the EC and non-EC partners in terms of concept, budget, management and maintenance and requires its own individual form of governance and custom style guides to accommodate possible co-branding.