Based on the emerging policy landscape under the new Commission defined by the European Strategy for Data, and the status of the implementation and impact of INSPIRE, the new work programme should focus on the following key strategic objectives:
- Develop a future vision for the role of INSPIRE in the Green Deal Data space in particular, and the EU Common Data space in general.
- Define the INSPIRE “crown jewels” – those data sets/themes, for which tangible benefits for environment policy, the implementation of the European Green Deal or other political priorities can be expected.
- Develop an implementation plan to focus implementation efforts to maximise availability, ensure interoperability and reach pan-European spatial coverage for this well-defined set of priority data.
- Continue work on simplifying and mainstreaming the technical requirements of the INSPIRE Directive, taking into account emerging paradigms, standards and technologies.
- Define the transition from the current legal framework to a digital ecosystem for environment and sustainability.