Webmasters must apply the following criteria to reduce the risk of sensitive information from being made widely available on Europa websites.
The criteria should be applied to whatever media is used (text file, picture, movie) and concerns all the information published directly by the Commission services as well as indirectly by service providers/partners.
Do not publish
- detailed information related to Commission buildings, fittings and equipment
- information related to the Commission security/emergency procedures, security staff, contractors (and their staff working for the Commission) and equipment
- information provided by the Commission in the context of a contract and reused (without the Commission’s approval) for commercial purposes
- personal information on Commission staff unrelated to their professional tasks
- information related to Commission buildings and equipment (in particular when providing documentation in calls for tenders)
- detailed professional information of Commission staff (beyond that available in the Commission’s online official directory)
- detailed description on how to enter/exit/circulate inside the Commission buildings (attendance of meetings, process of registering, security checks)
- detailed localisation of staff/services in the Commission buildings
An editorial workflow has been built into the Content Management Systems of the European Commission website and the interinstitutional EU website. This workflow allows site owners more control over their web content by providing them with a mechanism to create, review and validate content before it is published.
DG Communication strongly recommends that a similar pre-publication mechanism and workflow be built into any new website created by a European Commission department. This will allow for greater control over content before its publication as well as go towards ensuring that any potentially sensitive information will be automatically reviewed and validated before its release.
Contact and support
Need further assistance on this topic? Please contact the team in charge of Europa Domain Management (EU Login required).