The purpose of the Europa Component Library (ECL) is to ensure, in a cost-effective manner, one coherent ‘Europa’ environment and reinforce visitors' confidence in the information provided.
The ECL ensures this coherence by providing a comprehensive, modular design system describing and showcasing the design elements and visual standards that make up all EU and EC branded websites and web information systems.
The ECL must be used according to the Rules and guidelines per site type.
All ECL components respect Europa Web Guide rules regarding design, accessibility and responsiveness.
All library elements are accompanied by
- documentation explaining what a component is and how it should be used (under "Usage")
- a visual demonstration (the anatomy of the component, under "Usage")
- HTML/CSS code for implementation (under "Showcase").
The Europa Component Library (ECL) is technology agnostic because it focuses on HTML, CSS and vanilla JS. It doesn't require any framework like React or Angular to work, meaning that it can be used for any type of development.
The ECL was developed and is maintained by DG Communication Unit B3.
ECL can be used on any platform.
However, specific developments have been made to support implementation for the corporate technologies:
- on Drupal 8: the Europa Web Publishing Platform includes required themes based on ECL components
- on Angular platforms, the eUI version includes all ECL components ready for use in Angular developments.
For other platforms, implementation must be done according to the technology used.
Need further assistance on this topic? Please contact the team in charge of Europa Domain Management (EU Login required).