EU branding is used for online communication from EU Institutions, including the European Commission when:
- the content concerns activities and policies which are either institution neutral or common to several EU institutions and bodies
- the website has a wide target audience, which does not need specific knowledge of the EU Institutions to navigate the site (in all EU official languages).
EU branded websites can be:
- about one or several institution(s)
- promotions such as campaigns, events, forums
- web services such as learning and networking platforms.
EU branded websites (https://yourwebsite.europa.eu) have a different look and feel from the EC branded sites (https://yourwebsite.ec.europa.eu). Informed users can make the difference. However, both brandings also share similarities in colors and style so that any user can identify both types as an official website from a European Institution.
EU branded websites are hosted from the third level of the europa.eu domain onwards and follow the EU branded websites design rules and guidelines. There are two categories of EU branded websites: