To ensure consistency and security in the Drupal-based EU and EC branded websites, only a limited amount of file formats can be uploaded to them.
Only the following file formats can be uploaded:
Other formats may only be used in exceptional circumstances:
- pure text files (.txt) files, where information is not available in a richer format
- Zip format should only be used for file sharing, and their use should be limited as they are:
- not executable in a browser
- not indexable for search
- can’t be seen or edited in a CMS
- contain totally static content
- can pose security threats
- Video can only be used through the AV Portal. Read more about Audiovisual content.
- proprietary formats (e.g. Word, Excel and Power Point files) can also be used, but only when the user needs to edit or fill in the document.
A proper icon should be used to warn the user that the file will open with an external tool (you can find the external icon under UI/external)
It is the responsibility of the uploader to ensure that the shared files don't contain viruses.
For non Drupal-based sites the site owner is advised to whitelist file types and check each of them for possible security threats.
More information on EC files use can be found in the Europa Component Library.
Your use of permitted file formats must respect accessibility guidelines.
Contact and support
Need further assistance on this topic? Please contact the team in charge of Europa Domain Management (EU Login required).